Judge orders $50M payment for Charlotte helicopter crash death

Pilot Chip Tayag and meteorologist Jason Myers died in November 2022

WBTV meteorologist Jason Myers and pilot Chip Tayag were aboard a Robinson R44 helicopter, designed for short distance urban air mobility helicopter transfers, when it crashed. (Business Wire via AP)

CHARLOTTE — A North Carolina judge has ordered $50 million be paid to the family of a Charlotte TV station meteorologist who was killed in a helicopter crash three years ago after finding the companies that owned and operated the aircraft liable in his widow’s wrongful death lawsuit.

Following an evidentiary hearing last week, state Superior Court Judge Forrest Bridges issued a judgment order last Thursday directing insurers for the Total Traffic & Weather Network, iHeartCommunications and iHeartMedia to make the payment within the next two months.

WBTV meteorologist Jason Myers and pilot Chip Tayag died in November 2022 after the Robinson R44 helicopter crashed along a Charlotte-area interstate. The flight’s purpose was to provide Myers video training over a simulated news scene, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

Jillian Myers initially sued the companies and a maintenance facility in March 2023 for the death of her 41-year-old husband, with whom she had four children. The maintenance facility was later removed as a defendant.

A National Transportation Safety Board report last year determined the probable cause of the crash was inadequate inspections, resulting in an eventual loosening of hardware and subsequent loss of helicopter control. A post-crash examination of the flight controls showed hardware that should have been connected to a part on the main rotor was disconnected and the connecting hardware was missing, the final NTSB report says.

Last Thursday’s order from Bridges said the plaintiffs’ experts confirmed and expanded upon the NTSB finding that the crash “was due to operational and maintenance errors committed by” the remaining defendants.

The judgment entered for Jillian Myers was actually $126.3 million against the defendants — a $105 million total agreed upon by attorneys on both sides of the case and that Bridges found was a fair and reasonable settlement valuation — along with accrued interest.

But by agreement, the defendants’ primary insurers will pay $50 million. Jillian Myers will now be able to seek the rest of the amount against the companies’ excess or umbrella insurance carriers, her attorney Gary C. Robb said last Friday. Those carriers recently told the defendants they were declining their additional layers of coverage for the wrongful death claims, last Thursday’s order says.

Total Traffic & Weather Network and iHeartCommunications are subsidiaries of iHeartMedia. Wendy Goldberg, an iHeartMedia spokesperson, declined to comment on Friday.

Myers was raised in North Carolina and worked in Raleigh, Texas and Virginia before returning to the Charlotte area where he grew up, WBTV said at the time of his death.

“This settlement does not bring back the man we lost, but it does represent a formal acknowledgment of the profound impact his death has had on our family,” Jillian Myers said in a news release.