POLL: Cooper approval rating drops; Beasley, Trump, McCrory lead Senate race

Gov. Roy Cooper briefs media from the Emergency Operations Center in Raleigh. Photo via N.C. Dept. of Public Safety

RALEIGH – A Cardinal Point Analytics poll conducted this week shows Gov. Roy Cooper’s approval rating among likely voters declining 7 points since January.

The poll of 500 likely voters showed Cooper’s approval rating at 48%, down from 55% earlier in the year.

20% of voters said they strongly approved of Cooper’s job performance, with 27% saying they approve.

25% of voters strongly disapproved of the governor and 17% neither approved or disapproved.

The decline comes as Cooper on April 21 outlined the potential end of restrictions via executive order by June 1.

2022 U.S. Senate race

The poll also asked Democrats and Republicans who they favored if primaries for the state’s open U.S. Senate race were held today, and women were at the top of both races.

On the Democratic side, former N.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Cheri Beasley held a small lead over state Sen. Jeff Jackson

Beasley, who as of April 22 has not formally entered the race, led Jackson 32% to 26%, with former State Sen. and 2020 primary runner up, Erica Smith, holding 16% of the vote. Beaufort Mayor Rett Newton, who entered the race earlier this month, held 8% of the vote and 14% were undecided.

Former President Donald Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, continues to earn significant support despite no indication she has moved towards a bid. Trump and former Gov. Pat McCrory were tied, each with 36%.

Former U.S. Rep. Mark Walker claimed third place, with 10% followed by Rep. Ted Budd, who hasn’t officially entered the race, at 2%.

15% of Republicans were undecided.

Cardinal Point Analytics poll conducted April 20, 2021.
Cardinal Point Analytics poll conducted April 20, 2021.


This Cardinal Point Analytics Poll was conducted by interactive telephone response and proprietary digital acquisition methods and

Cardinal Point Analytics logo

consisted of a random sample of likely voters in North Carolina. The poll sampled approximately 500 likely voters. 40% of the poll was conducted using automated dialing methods, while the other 60% was drawn from cell phone users using a mix of digital acquisition methods proprietary to Cardinal Point Analytics. Weighting methods, where permitted by data, were used to match with demographic groupings determined by the US Census Bureau. Weights were applied to age, gender, race. The accuracy of the survey due to sampling error is ±4.4 percentage points at 95 percent confidence level for overall results (questions 1 and 2) and ±6.2 percentage points at 95 percent confidence level for Senate race results.