Wake Forest’s ACC basketball opener against Virginia, scheduled for next Wednesday, Dec. 16 at Joel Coliseum, has been postponed, the ACC announced Friday.
The postponement follows positive tests, subsequent quarantining and contact tracing within the Deacons program. The team is adhering to the outlined protocols within the ACC Medical Advisory Group report.
A makeup date has not yet been announced.
The UVa game is the second one involving Wake Forest to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. The Deacons didn’t play their scheduled game against Troy on Wednesday.
“After consultation with our medical professionals and in an abundance of caution, we will pause activities within our men’s basketball program for the rest of this week,” athletic director John Currie said in a statement issued earlier this week. “Our top priority is the health and safety of our student-athletes, and given the significant increase in COVID-19 infections both in Forsyth County and throughout North Carolina, this is the right decision.”
Wake still has a game against Presbyterian on its slate for Dec. 13. Although it has yet to be canceled, it is unlikely that game will be played as scheduled.
“Our program is always going to follow the advice of our university and local medical personnel,” coach Steve Forbes said. “Although we are disappointed that we will be unable to play this week, this is the right thing to do at this moment.”