NCGOP hosts Donald Trump Jr. at sportsman’s banquet

Donald Trump Jr. speaks at the NCGOP Sportsman's Banquet in Clayton on Oct. 10, 2020. Image via NCGOP

CLAYTON – Donald Trump Jr. spent this past weekend in North Carolina, headlining several events along Interstate 95, headlined by an appearance at the North Carolina Republican Party’s first-ever sportsman’s banquet.

Over 250 gathered outdoors at the Fred Smith Ranch in Johnston County to hear from Trump and many other candidates before in-person voting begins on Thursday.

Also appearing at Saturday’s event were Congressman David Rouzer (NC-07), Associate Justice Paul Newby, who is running for N.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice, and state chairman Michael Whatley.

Trump appeared earlier in the day in Robeson County and Cumberland County.

“I’m proud to be back in North Carolina among patriots fighting for our country,” Trump said in remarks to the crowd. “Together we’re going to defeat Joe Biden, his radical leftist handlers, and continue to uphold our Second Amendment rights by re-electing my father for four more years.”

The party said the event raised over $250,000 with the proceeds going towards the state’s judicial fund.

The fund, backing the eight statewide judicial candidates, was a top priority of Whatley when he ran for state party chairman.

“Our first sportsman’s banquets was an enormous success, and Republicans are more than activated than ever because we know our Second Amendment rights are on the ballot,” said DeVan Barbour, who helped organize the event. “The Republican message of freedom, conservation, and prosperity resonates with sportsman which is why we will be victorious this November.”