CHARLOTTE – Charlotte’s mayor Jennifer Roberts has declared a city wide curfew of midnight to 6 a.m. Thursday as crowds marched through downtown Charlotte on the third night of demonstrations. On Thursday evening the streets, while crowded with demonstrators chanting “release the tapes,” were peaceful compared to the prior two nights. On the first two nights, the protests turned to violence. Nine people were injured, one person was killed. Reports say that 44 people were arrested. Police spokesman Keith Trietley says in a news release that 26-year-old Justin Carr died Thursday at the hospital. Carr was reportedly shot in the head Wednesday evening by another civilian.”Our police chief made that assessment, looking at what is on the ground, and determined that this is what gives us the opportunity for a peaceful evening in Charlotte,” said Mayor Roberts in an interview on CNN.Earlier on Thursday Roberts told reporters that she did not see a reason for a citywide curfew. Governor Pat McCrory, the former mayor of Charlotte, was in the city Thursday to meet with police and offer his assistance, saying that no further violence will be tolerated. McCrory declared a state of emergency for the city which gives the authority for the curfew that has now been issued.
WASHINGTON, D.C. President Donald Trump on Tuesday nominated Neil Gorsuch for a lifetime job on the U.S. Supreme Court, picking the 49-year-old federal appeals court judge to restore the court’s conservative majority and help […]
RALEIGH N.C. Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler held a press conference Thursday blasting an audit from the state that accused the agency of slacking off on some milk producer inspections in the Grade A program. […]
RALEIGH Environmental groups opposing Gov. Pat McCrory have seized on the under-oath deposition statements of Ken Rudo, a toxicologist for the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, to accuse the governor of […]