WASHINGTON, D.C. Susan Rice, former President Barack Obama’s national security adviser, ordered U.S. spy agencies to produce “detailed spreadsheets” of legal phone calls involving Donald Trump and his aides when he was running for president, according to former U.S. Attorney Joseph diGenova.”What was produced by the intelligence community at the request of Ms. Rice were detailed spreadsheets of intercepted phone calls with unmasked Trump associates in perfectly legal conversations with individuals,” diGenova told The Daily Caller News Foundation Investigative Group Monday.”The overheard conversations involved no illegal activity by anybody of the Trump associates, or anyone they were speaking with,” diGenova said. “In short, the only apparent illegal activity was the unmasking of the people in the calls.”Other official sources with direct knowledge and who requested anonymity confirmed to The Daily Caller News Foundation diGenova’s description of surveillance reports Rice ordered one year before the 2016 presidential election.Also on Monday, Fox News and Bloomberg News, citing multiple sources, reported that Rice had requested the intelligence information that was produced in a highly organized operation. Fox said the unmasked names of Trump aides were given to officials at the National Security Council; the Department of Defense; James Clapper, Obama’s director of national intelligence; and John Brennan, Obama’s CIA director.Joining Rice in the alleged White House operations was her deputy, Ben Rhodes, according to Fox.Critics of the atmosphere prevailing throughout the Obama administration’s last year in office point to former Obama Deputy Defense Secretary Evelyn Farkas who admitted in a March 2 television interview on MSNBC that she “was urging my former colleagues” to “get as much information as you can, get as much intelligence as you can, before President Obama leaves the administration.”Farkas sought to walk back her comments in the weeks following: “I didn’t give anybody anything except advice.”Retired Col. James Waurishuk, a National Security Council veteran and former deputy director for intelligence at the U.S. Central Command, told The Daily Caller News Foundation that many hands had to be involved throughout the Obama administration to launch such a political spying program.”The surveillance initially is the responsibility of the National Security Agency,” Waurishuk said. “They have to abide by this guidance when one of the other agencies says, ‘We’re looking at this particular person which we would like to unmask.'””The lawyers and counsel at the NSA surely would be talking to the lawyers and members of counsel at CIA, or at the National Security Council or at the director of national intelligence or at the FBI,” he said. “It’s unbelievable of the level and degree of the administration to look for information on Donald Trump and his associates, his campaign team, and his transition team. This is really, really serious stuff.”Michael Doran, former National Security Council senior director, told The Daily Caller News Foundation Monday that “somebody blew a hole in the wall between national security secrets and partisan politics.” This “was a stream of information that was supposed to be hermetically sealed from politics and the Obama administration found a way to blow a hole in that wall.”Doran charged that potential serious crimes were undertaken because “this is a leaking of signal intelligence.””That’s a felony,” he told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “And you can get 10 years for that. It is a tremendous abuse of the system. We’re not supposed to be monitoring American citizens. Bigger than the crime, is the breach of public trust.”Waurishuk said he was most dismayed that “this is now using national intelligence assets and capabilities to spy on the elected, yet-to-be-seated president.””We’re looking at a potential constitutional crisis from the standpoint that we used an extremely strong capability that’s supposed to be used to safeguard and protect the country,” he said. “And we used it for political purposes by a sitting president. That takes on a new precedent.”Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
RALEIGH November elections will move forward under the state Senate and House legislative district map drawn in 2011, but it must be redrawn during the next legislative session. This in a decision handed down […]
WASHINGTON, D.C. A gunman who opened fire on a group of congressmen, staffers, Capitol Police, and children as they practiced for a charity baseball game early Wednesday morning, may have been deliberately targeting Republicans. […]
WASHINGTON, D.C. U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Tuesday announced that Thomas Bossert, former deputy homeland security adviser to President George W. Bush, would be his White House adviser on security and counterterrorism issues, according […]